Wednesday 12 November, 2008

When People Talk

When people talk do they have to go on and on?

I had a visitor to my desk today who spoke continuously for 20 minutes. And when he finally left 45 minutes later others on my team told me that I was spared easy, he being unwell. Phew! I had the choice to walk off but decided not to. One does not risk it with the guys who hold purse strings.

I have often wondered what is it that makes people talk so much. There are many kinds of folks. Some are informed and knowledgeable and have much to share. Some have nothing to share but enjoy listening to their own voice. Some feel that unless they repeat everything five times I will not comprehend what they want to say. And there are others who take pride in saying, “let me tell you”.

This last one always amuses me. What happens if I don’t let you…tell me … that is? Hee! Hee! I did that to one of the senior members of the family once. He complained to my dad and wrote off my parents for not having taught me manners. I was so happy. It was good riddens of bad rubbish! Till date!

I am curious about the ones who need to repeat what they say more than once. And this is not because I have not understood what they say. I am fairly ok in the department of grey cells and have no qualms in seeking clarifications when I do not follow what is being spoken. So I have concluded that such people have no confidence in their own oratory skills or articulation. I am also inclined to think that such folks are dim in head and often measure others by own yard stick. They cannot figure out what others are saying in the first attempt. So they assume that others are in the same boat.

The best conversations in my memory have been with people who can speak small simple sentences and are willing to listen as well as contribute with own thinking.
The best lectures and speeches have been where the speaker has established a dialogue with the audience. Fresh on my mind is US president-elect Barrack Obama. He talks to his people and the world around. He talks and seeks a response. And people listen to him transfixed!

There is so much joy in listening.

There is so much creativity in right words.

There is so much expression in poetry.

I feel sometimes that those who can speak abuse the gift of speech so much. We should declare it to be endangered art forms. At least, then I will not have to endure a bumbling oaf for 45 minutes…..

1 comment:

kau kau goes the crow said...

How so true..is this.

Beautfully captured. In my sales formative years had the best grounding with one of my dealers who was almost silent thru the meeting and we walked out with the order.He then looked at me and said the words that have remained with me yet.."Whoever tells that in Sales one has to talk all the time doesnt know it..responsive listening has far more empathy"

It straight took me back there.